Sources For Animal Testing
1. Databases used:
· Questia online library.
· AimALT-ZEBET. Database for Alternatives to Animal Experimentation.
Exterior sources for the books: Local libraries, publishers (publisher will be quoted), major bookstores or Amazon.
2. Book. People Promoting and People Opposing Animal Rights: In Their Own Words. John M. Kistler. 2002. Greenwood Press.
3. Newspaper Article. Liverpool Daily Post (UK) University of Liverpool Defends Testing. Reporter Caroline Innes. April 13, 2007.
4. Publication. Science, Medicine and Animals. 2004. Institute for Lab Animal Research. Publisher: National Research Council of the National Academies. (National Academies Press may have free download of the book, try nap.edu)
5. Internet source.
– pro-test.org.uk (UK).
5 articles strongly defending animal testing under the ‘hot topics and policy / hot science’ pages.
– amprogress.org (USA).
Many articles detailing the benefits of animal testing under ‘Research is… /animal research news’ page. Under ‘Advocate for Research’ page you will find ‘Everday Wonders’ page which is a good, concise article explaining the advances made thanks to animal testing, with links to additional supporting articles.
6. Internet source. Animalliberationfront.com. This has a very extensive resource database.
– From the ‘Literature’ page under the subtitle ‘Essays’ scroll down to find Proof that Animal Experimenting Doesn’t Save Lives by Vernon Coleman, 2003. (http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Animal%20Testing/Vivisection/viv115.htm)
– The High Price of Animal Experimentation by Robert Bass, Ph.D.,2005 (http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Animal%20Testing/PriceofXperiments.htm)
7. Academic paper. ‘Should IACUC’s Review Scientific Merit of Animal Research Projects?’ Michael D. Mann, PhD., Ernest Prentic, PhD. January 2004.
8. Book. Brute Science: Dilemmas of Animal Experimentation. LaFollette, Hugh and Niall Shanks. London, Routlege, 1996.
9. Article. ‘Animal Research – a defence’ Dr Simon Festing. New Statesman magazine. Published 14 March, 2008.
10. Book. The Longest Struggle: Animal Advocacy from Pythagoras to PETA. Norm Phelps. Lantern Books, 2007.
11. Publication. The Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust. Charles Patterson. New York: Lantern Books, 2002. (Review available by Dr. Steven Best Associate Professor, Departments of Humanities and Philosophy, University of Texas, El Paso.)
12. Book. Animal Experimentation: Good or Bad?, Hodder & Stoughton, 2002.
13. Publication. Science Without Suffering Report. 2007. Dr Hadwen Trust. (It may be available for free download from the Dr Hadwen Trust).
14. Publication. Medical Advances and Animal Research. The contribution of animal science to the medical revolution: some case histories, RDS & CMP, 2007.